Atlanta, GA - 37th WW SketchCrawl!

Saturday October 13th 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

tnye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Atlanta, GA - 37th WW SketchCrawl!

Post by tnye »

The next World Wide SketchCrawl is scheduled for October 13! Atlanta's weather should be just about perfect for out-and-about sketching without risk of heatstroke. To get this SketchCrawl started I'll throw out a suggestion for a location/route, please post your thoughts and alternative ideas and join in on October 13.

The 2012 Beltline Lantern Parade was held Saturday night, September 8, on the Eastside Trail of the Beltline (between DeKalb Ave and Piedmont Park). It was quite a spectacle! One of the best parts was seeing old industrial Atlanta illuminated by so many colorful lanterns. This section would be a great place for people- or architectural-sketching. It's easily accessible and almost completely paved so bring your bike. Some of the sketch-worthy features include City Hall East, the Ford Factory Lofts, great views of the skyline and city streets from above, circa 1906 bridges with lots of rivets, old cotton packing facilities now turned into artist studios, the Irwin Street Tower, a skatepark full of kids, and art installations all along the way. Debora and I did some sketching reconnaissance on Sunday; I'll definitely be going back.

Here's a map and info about the Eastside Trail.
http://beltline.org/trails/eastside-trail/
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Atlanta, GA - 37th WW SketchCrawl!

Post by debora »

The crawl date is getting closer, and Teri's post has had 17 views but no replies.

I'm going to suggest an alternate idea, since Teri won't be able to make it on October 13. How about Emory University? The buildings are very sketchable. We could meet at the Peavine lot. According to Emory's parking handbook, the gates are open at Peavine and selected other lots/decks on weekends so visitors can park there for free. (http://transportation.emory.edu/docs/TP ... 011_12.pdf, p. 3)

Debora
Cre8it
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Cre8it »

Count me in. Emory sounds great! What time?
erlingingi
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by erlingingi »

Sounds good! I think I´ll be able to make it this time. :thumbup:
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by debora »

Looking forward to sketching with you!

The Peavine Lot isn't a particularly picturesque place to wait, so I plan to park there at 9:30 and walk up Dickey Drive, take a right between (according to the map) Emerson Hall and the Candler School of Theology, walk up the hill, and be sketching in courtyard between Cannon Chapel, Bishops Hall, and White Hall at 9:45.

Photo of the courtyard so you know what you're aiming for: http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/ ... ?id=m-9314

Campus map http://map.emory.edu/ - it is a little hard to use
erlingingi
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by erlingingi »

Here are my images from today's sketchcrawl event. This time there were only 2 participants on a beautiful day where we had planned to meet, at the Emory campus. I brought my portable paint set and walked around with my sketchbook doing thumbnail sketches, and then picked one thumbnail to render in oil paint. It was fun even though I would have liked to see more people sketching. It was nice seeing you again Debora.
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by debora »

There was a good reason why people didn't show up: there was a 5K run taking place on Emory's campus this morning and traffic was blocked. I asked a policeman where to park. Erling came by bike. To anyone else who couldn't get there, I hope you'll post whatever you did end up sketching.

Erling, your painting is lovely, and it perfectly captures the way the campus looked today. I looked for you to watch how you were doing it, but didn't manage to catch you

I did a drawing under the Cannon Chapel overhang

and spent some time before and after practicing with watercolors.
erlingingi
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by erlingingi »

Those are great sketches Debrora! I arrived by bike so had no problems :)
Susan T
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Susan T »

Love your sketches Atlanta!!! Good you both didn't get discouraged and stayed to sketch. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Philippe56
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Philippe56 »

nice sketches, very good.

Return to “37th World Wide SketchCrawl”