Atlanta, Georgia

Saturday October 18th, 2014

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

Whalen
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Atlanta, Georgia

Post by Whalen »

I've never done a sketch crawl before, but I'm game to try starting one. If anyone is interested, please suggest locations. I'm considering the Emory campus or old parts of midtown. Of course Decatur is very nice....
Whalen
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Atlanta, Georgia

Post by Whalen »

Well, I'm starting to think that I'll be doing the Decatur Square. The parking deck for the court house is free on weekends. I'm thinking I'll start with a good beer at The Brick Store around lunch time and then wander the square a bit. Seating is abundant and I'd enjoy interacting with the Decatur weekend crowd.
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by debora »

Glad to meet you, Whalen, and very happy to see your post. The square in Decatur is a fine place for sketching and the Brick Store Pub is a fine place for refreshment.
But would morning work OK for you? I have to leave for another commitment by 3 pm or earlier.
tnye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tnye »

If my previously scheduled event gets cancelled (which looks likely), I'd like to join in too!
michaelkingartwork
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by michaelkingartwork »

Debora ... I'm not positive I will be able to come but I am checking into it. Does this place have some historical buildings or attractions? Is the location and time set for sure? I don't drink so the pub is out for me.
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by debora »

It's a historic courthouse square where the buildings have been redeveloped into a thriving restaurant district.
Here are links to some previous Decatur sketchcrawl results.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=10431
Erling, who organized previous sketchcrawls and brought his coworkers, has moved out of state. But I am sure Thomas J. will still be there, pen in hand.

Now let's decide on a meeting time that works for everyone. Whalen, hope you're checking this thread.
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by debora »

I just noticed a BIG problem with Decatur. The Decatur Craft Beer Festival begins at noon in the square, and during the morning vendors will be busy setting up. Might be OK if you like sketching crowds, but non-ticket-holders will be excluded from a large portion of the square, and the $40 (!) tickets are sold out. (Thought to check because a previous sketchcrawl collided with the Beer Festival.)

May I suggest historic Oakland Cemetery as an alternative? Free parking. Free entry. Tons of stuff to sketch. Full of Victorian-era monuments. Some of them are actually small (but elaborate) buildings. Sculpture. Trees and plants. People walking around enjoying the greenspace. A view of downtown Atlanta. Non-chain restaurants across the street, if the group wants lunch (one of them is a pub/fish house called "Six Feet Under.") http://www.oaklandcemetery.com/
michaelkingartwork
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by michaelkingartwork »

debora wrote:I just noticed a BIG problem with Decatur. The Decatur Craft Beer Festival begins at noon in the square, and during the morning vendors will be busy setting up. Might be OK if you like sketching crowds, but non-ticket-holders will be excluded from a large portion of the square, and the $40 (!) tickets are sold out. (Thought to check because a previous sketchcrawl collided with the Beer Festival.)

May I suggest historic Oakland Cemetery as an alternative? Free parking. Free entry. Tons of stuff to sketch. Full of Victorian-era monuments. Some of them are actually small (but elaborate) buildings. Sculpture. Trees and plants. People walking around enjoying the greenspace. A view of downtown Atlanta. Non-chain restaurants across the street, if the group wants lunch (one of them is a pub/fish house called "Six Feet Under.") http://www.oaklandcemetery.com/
If I can work it out morning works best for me too say around 9 or 10 am ... Oakland Cemetery sounds good. :thumbup: I'd have to drive about 135 miles but if I can sketch for 3 to 4 hours that would be worth the drive.
Whalen
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Whalen »

Oakland Cemetery sounds great. The internet says it's open at 9am. What about meeting at 9:30 am? The restaurant Six Feet Under is a great place to pop off for refreshment, too. It also, apparently has a gift shop and tours.
tnye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tnye »

Oakland Cemetery at 9:30am sounds perfect for me too. I've got a drawing that I've been working on looking toward the mill, would like to add some color!
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by debora »

9:30 works for me, too. Let's meet in front of the visitors center.
tnye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tnye »

Just confirmed, I'll be at Oakland Cemetery tomorrow morning at 9:30! See you all then.

Return to “45th World Wide SketchCrawl”