Tucson

Saturday December 9th 2006
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Tucson

Post by donnam »

Ok, all of you who missed the last one--get on my mailing list!

We will probably all go together for this one--thinking of places that might fulfill everyone's possible desire--Desert Museum, Reid Park Zoo--Other ideas?

Mark you calendar for Dec 9!
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Tucson

Post by donnam »

Ok Tucson-let's get going! Mark your calendar for Dec. 9.

My thoughts for this one is to meet at the Desert Museum at 10:00 AM. I think this location is good because it offers people, plants, and animals to sketch and as we all know, it is a beautiful location. There are restaurants on the grounds for lunch. We could leave at 3:00 and go to an agreed upon restaurant to show off our sketches and get acquainted.

The admission to the museum is $12.00.

Any discussions or other ideas for locations, please comment here. Thanks.
TeriC
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by TeriC »

Thanks for getting us organized Donna!

While I love the Desert Museum, I would really prefer somewhere where there is no admission fee. How about downtown Tucson (La Placita) or the train station, or San Xavier mission (venders, architect & visitors), or 4th Ave (lots of people and store fronts). 8)

Those are my ideas, any more out there?

Teri
TeriC
helen gaus
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by helen gaus »

Hi Donna, I agree with Teri about the entry fee for AZDM, though I am a member and wouldn't have to pay, I don't want this to stop anyone from participating. I think San Xavier is too far. I want to draw, not drive. I suggest UA Student Union or the Library on main campus, the main gate area on University Blvd., the Geronimo plaza on University Blvd., outside at the Raquet Club on north Country Club (we can talk to the woman who owns it, she's a painter), Himmel Park and the playgrounds at Reid Park.

I have several email addresses of people who are interested. The first one is for Susan, shildreth@comcast.net and the next is for Klara and is JingMoNim@aol.com.

Thank you for inviting me,
Helen
TeriC
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by TeriC »

Oh for goodness sakes, I just remembered that I am having open house for Christmas in our park on this day! So after opening my mouth about where to go, consider it shut and embarrassed.

Teri
TeriC
christina
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

places

Post by christina »

Hi Donna, I am planning to come to the meeting spot later, I am thinking of the botanical gardens on Alvernon or the airport to draw. Went to your website, looks great, but it is a little slow, will have to go to school where there is a faster connection.
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Join this forum to post

Post by donnam »

For those of you reading this and want to reply, but are not allowed because you are not a member of the forum, please join it. It is free, of course, and you just have to sign up. You will need to be a member of this forum to post your sketches later on, so you might as well join this group now.

Thanks.
paulmohr
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

places to draw

Post by paulmohr »

Hi,
Fourth Ave is good for people and interiors . . . good taverns. UA entrance
is good for architecture and people . . . don't know about interiors. Reid Park Zoo is good for people and animals. Any of these would be a good
choice.
pm
quixx
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by quixx »

My only preference is anywhere *except* the Reid Park zoo.. and this is only because I have already been there several times this year to sketch and would like to try someplace new. :D Though if the majority vote goes to the zoo, I wouldn't protest. Just my two cents! Thanks.
~Crystal
Sue Hildreth
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Aketchcrawl Tucson - location

Post by Sue Hildreth »

I like Helen's suggestions and think any of them would offer us some good variety. If we end up near the raquet club perhaps we can also spend an hour at the nearby retirement community Atria Campana del Rio. The residents there have a Saturday morning art class from 9 to 11, taught by a person from The Studio. I volunteer at that class. The Saturday art students could join us during our time at that community. There are pretty palm trees, buildings, and a fountain in the courtyard. There are old folks sitting on the porch, dozing, or walking their little doggies. This venue would give us a different age group to draw. And the art class would talk about us for several weeks, inspired by what we are doing.

Sue Hildreth
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

locations

Post by donnam »

I am so glad to see so much activity on this message board! All of the possible locations are good suggestions. It is going to be hard to choose one or two of them.

I think that we have time to let people offer suggested locations for about another week and then we will have to narrow them down. However, just because we don't choose your selection this crawl, it can be considered for one of the next ones.

A point to consider, I think, is a location that could also offer indoor sketching opportunities in case the weather is not ideal--although this is Tucson and we do have great weather here!

FYI-Today, flyers were posted at Posner's, Sarnoff's, and Pima West Campus (in the life drawing room) and the Drawing Studio has also received flyers. I see that we have a response from Paul Mohr, an instructor at the Drawing Studio--welcome Paul! Christina is my life drawing teacher at Pima and she made an announcement today in class, so hopefully, this crawl will be well attended and we will finally get these going in Tucson. The LA group had 83 I believe at the last one, so we have a way to go to catch them.

For those of you that are new to this forum, pls take some time and enjoy sketches from all over the world from the last crawl. If you are having trouble finding them, here are some interesting links:

http://enricocasarosa.com/sketchcrawl.html (our founder for the event and his very first crawl by himself)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sketchcrawl/pool/ This is the entire worldwide pool of sketches from the crawls and the crawlers at other times--believe that there are 450+ photos here

and lastly, go back to the main forum page and click on the 11th, or 10th crawl etc by city and take a look at some of the sketches. Inspiring work!
tortilla
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

park park park

Post by tortilla »

the desert museum is out of the question for me. i'm an art student with no car and no money at the moment. the reason i couldn't make the last crawl was the lack of transportation. for me, reid park would be the best thing. it's central, easy to access, free, there are people, the zoo's there if anyone wants to go in (i think it only costs five bucks- less than half the cost of the desert museum and closer in town,) they've got the lagoons, playgrounds... whatever you all decide, that's what i'm doing. if anyone wants to join me, feel free. i don't see anything wrong with breaking up into groups and meeting up later to go over our sketchbooks.

see you kids latah
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Locations

Post by donnam »

Are there anymore suggestions for locations?
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Location Announcement Details!

Post by donnam »

Ok all you crawlers, after reading all of the suggestions, I found a common thread so here is the final scenario for Sat Dec 9 Crawl:

Please meet at 10:00 AM at the Starbucks on the corner of University and Euclid (802 University is exact address). From Speedway, turn south on Euclid and proceed to University. There is a parking on the street and also a parking garage at Euclid and 2nd. (There is no home game--football or basketball--so we should be good to go.)

From this location, we can crawl the UofA and also around University blvd or anywhere you want to walk to.

At 4:00PM, we will meet again at Chipotle, which is right across the street from where we started and share sketchbooks, have fun, eat, etc, etc.

Please come rain or shine. Should it rain, we will come up with an alternate on the spot.

We will disperse at 10:15, so look for the group. I am the one that looks kind of like my avatar and if everyone will have a sketchbook in their hands, we can find each other.

Can't wait, the last one was loads of fun, even though our numbers were small, but I am anticipating a much larger group of sketchers this time out as many have hit this Tucson forum page.
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

How to post images in the forum

Post by donnam »

Please post your images in the subject header "Tucson Results"

1. Join Flicker.com and then upload your images there, being sure to enter the tag "Sketchcrawl".
2. After you upload your photos, click on the first one and from that screen click on show all sizes.
3. Click medium size and scroll down to where it says, grab the photo's URL (this should begin with http://static)
4. Copy this url and go back to the sketchcrawl forum
5. Click the button IMG, paste the url you just copied, and then click the IMG button again.

If you click on preview at this point, you should see your image. You may add text to the message and then hit submit.

Return to “12th World Wide SketchCrawl”