Saturday October 13th 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

HOUSTON ,TEXAS-37th International Crawl

Post by sketchcat »

If you are here looking for information on the Houston sketchcrawl because you saw one of our flyers, welcome.
We have not discussed a meetup time or place yet. We will discuss that some time in September. But check this site out to find out what a sketchcrawl IS and then you can see some of our
work here:
http://urbansketchers-texas.blogspot.com/
You might also enjoy this site:
http://www.urbansketchers.org/

People of all interests and abilities are welcome to join us in October. If you have a suggestion for a good place to crawl, register and post a suggestion in this thread.
Thanks, and hope to see you on October 13.
Last edited by sketchcat on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivaldirules
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: HOUSTON ,TEXAS

Post by Vivaldirules »

I'm hoping to be in town to participate. I'm looking forward to it!
sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Post by sketchcat »

Good. Think of a place you'd like to sketch. October is a great time to sketch with all the stuff going on. We can discuss what works for everyone here.
tomypeck
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tomypeck »

I'll have a early morning Race in The Woodlands, but i'll Try to meet you afther that.
sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Post by sketchcat »

Met some new friends today who may be joining us on the 13th. Hoping we get a real crowd. It would be nice to have an active group in Houston between crawls!

For anyone who has seen our local announcements and is checking in here for the meet-up time and place: We will decide that closer to the date. We are open to suggestions.
Join the Forum and post ideas here. When we have a better idea of how many people are coming and what will work for everyone we can make a decision about where to sketch.
We usually start between 9 and 10, but people are welcome to drop in or leave as they need to. If we move around, we can arrange a meet-up for midday or whatever works for most people.
sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Re: HOUSTON ,TEXAS-37th International Crawl

Post by sketchcat »

I've been thinking about good places to sketch and it occurred to me that the small group that has been going to previous crawls has never done a downtown crawl. We could start at Discovery Green, which is great for people and things going on, and move to the trains on Main Street or the different buildings. There are some great older buildings on upper Main Street, the refurbished courthouse, Market Square, and of course all the more modern buildings and sights. Lots to sketch downtown.
If you know of another event going on and would prefer that, post a suggestion. I'm open to ideas.
Vivaldirules
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Vivaldirules »

Hi, sketchcat. I was thinking of that, too, and had started a list of possible downtown sites although I am not very familiar with it:

Julia Ideson Library, Hobby Center, Tranquility Park, Sam Houston Park (old buildings with skyscrapers behind), Wortham Theatre, Enron skywalk (Smith and Bell), Esperson building (Travis and Rusk, but from where do you view it except from the roof or another building?), Metro rail (Main)

If the weather is bad, the inside of the library might be good, or so I recall being there once many years ago.
sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Post by sketchcat »

I've done a lot of library sketches lately, but that is a great sketch location. It was recently renovated and the inside is stunning. I suggested Discovery Green because I'm pushing myself to draw more people. There's always a lot going on there on Saturday morning. If there's a Zumba class or something or just kids playing in the fountains it's great. Market Square was just redone and it's pretty nice now as well. And of course the oldest building in downtown is right there on the square and the Cotton Exchange is nearby.
The tall buildings are sketchable from a good distance depending on where you are.I know a few of those buildings have public floors or skywalks and they would be a good viewpoint for sketching. I stood down the street on Travis and sketched the Nellie Esperson just fine. I love the buildings on upper Main Street. I can't recall the names of them, but they are real gems. Oh and there are all the lovely historic buildings over in Sam Houston Heritage Park too. I think if we get enough people, downtown is a fine location.
minigirl
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by minigirl »

Downtown is a great spot. I think you can even go inside the George R Brown to an upstairs outdoor patio without a ticket to whatever might be going on in the main hall. Great skyline view. And there is a Starbucks up there for drinks. See you on the 13th. Also check out the Texas Urban Sketchers at: http://urbansketchers-texas.blogspot.com/
sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Post by sketchcat »

Ok so lets set the meetup place as the lawn next to the Lakehouse restaurant in Discovery Green Park any time between 9 and 10 on the 13th of October.
If Tomas needs to meet us, we can choose a lunch spot to meet him depending on when he finishes his run.
Vivaldirules
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Vivaldirules »

Sounds great. The yoga class starts at 9:30. I could really use the help by them posing for long periods. :)
tomypeck
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tomypeck »

Sounds good to me. I guess i will be between 11:00 and 11:30, no before. So is you Chris can send you mobile number by email, I'll call you as soon I arrive at Downtown.
sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Post by sketchcat »

Just a heads up for people heading downtown from the suburbs. That weekend is also the weekend of the Bayou City Art Festival. So, Mckinney and Allen pkwy exits from 45 will be closed. Cut over on 10 and take Mckee Street exit..that will bring you into downtown near the stadium.... Or take 59 and exit near the convention center. Parking may be tight.
sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Post by sketchcat »

Hoping the number of views here means that the word has gotten out in Houston. Looking forward to seeing people on Saturday at Discovery Green.
People are free to come and go as they need to. I know that the beautiful weather means that folks have a lot going on. See you then!
Vivaldirules
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Vivaldirules »

I have a sudden family commitment Saturday so am out again. Hopefully, next time. I hope you folks have a great time together and I look forward to your posts. Snag a sketch of a yogaist for me, will ya? :)

Return to “37th World Wide SketchCrawl”